OT: CPU Fan

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Fri Feb 3 18:10:08 UTC 2006

On Thu, Feb 02, 2006 at 09:05:13PM -0500, Phil Kay wrote:
> I apologize for the off-topic message, but I figured someone here might know
> where I can pick up a socket 370 1U CPU fan.  It needs to be the kind that
> exhausts to the side.  We have a Symbol Wireless switch (WS5000) that needs a
> new fan.  We've done some digging, but are having trouble finding one.  Does
> anyone here know of a place where we could pick one up?  TIA
>
> To tie this just a little to the list:  The fan is sounding horrible and the
> BIOS on the switch shuts the device down if the CPU gets too hot.
> Apparently, this happened during a software upgrade.  That toasted the
> configuration.  We have it up and running again and upgraded the OS to the
> lastest version.  The thing now runs Linux!  It uses apache and postgre for
> the db.  It had previously been running LynxOS.  We've been very pleased with
> its operation so far and are glad to add one more Linux server to our
> collection.
>
> Thanks again for any help you can provide.  All replies about the fan can come
> to me directly.  If you have more questions about the device (on-topic), I'd
> be glad to answer them.

Hmm, all the 1U servers I have worked with just had heatsinks on the CPU
and piles of 40mm fans directing air from front to back of the machine.
Usually about 8 fans or so accross the case.

1U stuff is often somewhat proprietary so it would take some searching
to find a fan for that.  Not the kind of thing a desktop user would ever
need after all.

Len Sorensen