rpmbuild vs Xconfig

Paul Mora paulmora-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Feb 3 05:44:20 UTC 2006

On 31 Jan 2006 22:49:26 -0500, Tim Writer <tim-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> Yes, if you're going to use rpmbuild, the SRPM is the place to
> start. However, as I said in my earlier reply, I don't recommend that
> approach because building kernel RPMS (from an SRPM) is complicated. Even
> if
> you're expert at creating RPMS from scratch, it will probably take you
> several days to modify and build a kernel RPM. It is _much_ easier to
> build
> from the kernel source tree.

One thing I've noticed, is that Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 (and Fedora) no
longer ship with a kernel source RPM with the source code in it.  If you
want to get the kernel source, you have to get it out of the kernel SRPM
file.  The way you go about installing it is documented in the RELEASE-NOTES
which are on CD1 of RHEL/Fedora.  Here's the Coles Notes version:

1. Install kernel SRPM.  The files get written (by default) to
/usr/src/redhat, in the various subdirectories.
2. Change to /usr/src/redhat/SPECS, and run 'rpmbuild -bp --target=<arch>
kernel.spec' (<arch> is your architecture, i386, i686, etc.)
3. The kernel source tree will be located in /usr/src/redhat/BUILD/.

pm

--
Paul Mora
email: paulmora-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org