rpmbuild vs Xconfig

Tim Writer tim-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Wed Feb 1 03:49:26 UTC 2006

Kihara Muriithi <william.muriithi-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> writes:

> > If you want to rebuild a kernel that is similar to the Fedora kernel, install
> > the kernel-source RPM (note: this is not the same as the kernel SRPM)
> Hmm, I actually have SRPM. This is intentional since I assumed it
> would be more rpmbuild friendly.

Yes, if you're going to use rpmbuild, the SRPM is the place to
start. However, as I said in my earlier reply, I don't recommend that
approach because building kernel RPMS (from an SRPM) is complicated. Even if
you're expert at creating RPMS from scratch, it will probably take you
several days to modify and build a kernel RPM. It is _much_ easier to build
from the kernel source tree.

--
tim writer <tim-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org>                                  starnix inc.
647.722.5301                                      toronto, ontario, canada