SMTP Options for Laptops?

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Wed Dec 27 17:52:01 UTC 2006

Dave Mason wrote:
> For outgoing email, I run a sendmail on my laptop that doesn't know how to do anything except forward mail from me to the world.  Then I set my
> mail client to point to 127.0.0.1 and it all works.  The sendmail does direct mail delivery to MX servers, so there's no problem about
> forwarding.  Unfortunately, the properties of the outgoing mail *may* trigger some spam filters.

It's not just that. Sometimes your choice of ISP can trigger filters too.

A client has a senior staffer who took his laptop to Florida for the
holidays, then complained because so many of his recipients were not
getting his mail anymore. Apparently many recipient ISPs had tagged his
connection -- bellsouth.net (and especially its DSL home subnets) -- as
a significant source of spam. Many sites were quarantining and sometimes
just dropping his stuff, even though the same mails sent from his
Toronto home or business went through fine.

There are advantages to having a single stable SMTP server (or server
network) on the Net that you can use as a trusted relay no matter where
you are.

- Evan