[OT] Dig camera

Simon simon80-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Dec 27 02:13:18 UTC 2006

On 12/26/06, Giles Orr <gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> I don't think anyone has mentioned DPReview yet:
> http://www.dpreview.com/ .  Their reviews are excellent, and I would
> trust them much more than photos on flickr.  For all the extra details
> Flickr gives under "More properties," they can't tell you a damn thing
> about the photographer, their equipment, or their camera maintenance.
Trust _what_ much more than the photos on flickr? There were no sample
photos on the reviews I saw on dpreview, and the reviews themselves
could use some more detail.  It would be utterly irresponsible of me
to buy a $300-$400 camera without seeing any samples of its output.
Reading a review is great and I'm not saying that that's not a good
idea when buying, but sample photos are a necessity.

> One of these photographers said "The moon ... this one is without
> flash."  Umm ...  Why are you telling us that?  The flash is so
> utterly useless for photographing the moon that anyone who knows
> anything about photography just assumed you weren't using it.  Did
> they use a tripod?  When was the last time they cleaned their lens?
> These things have a lot more effect on image quality than the camera
> type.  I prefer objective reviews to flickr.  Okay, it's the internet
> and objectivity is always a little iffy, but DPReview has been very
> good.
I thought the same thing about that photographer, but I figured they
must have a reason for saying that, so I looked around.  Turns out
that the adjacent picture was taken at the same time, but with flash,
and looked totally different.  It's also safe to say she didn't use a
tripod ;)