[OT] Dig camera

Giles Orr gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Dec 27 05:36:11 UTC 2006

On 12/26/06, Simon <simon80-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On 12/26/06, Giles Orr <gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> > I don't think anyone has mentioned DPReview yet:
> > http://www.dpreview.com/ .  Their reviews are excellent, and I would
> > trust them much more than photos on flickr.  For all the extra details
[SNIP]
> Trust _what_ much more than the photos on flickr? There were no sample
> photos on the reviews I saw on dpreview, and the reviews themselves
> could use some more detail.  It would be utterly irresponsible of me
> to buy a $300-$400 camera without seeing any samples of its output.

DP Review does incredibly extensive in-depth reviews of cameras
(including lab photos).  The Fuji you mentioned doesn't appear to have
been tested (yet?) but the Canon has been:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canona710is/

Skip to page 3 for test photos.

As for buying a camera without seeing its photo output ...  The flickr
images you're looking at aren't representative of what the camera is
capable of.  In almost all cases they've been manipulated by a
computer program, and they're never posted at their original
resolution - I think you learn more by reading responsible reviews
(preferably several about each camera) online.

I use a Nikon Coolpix 5400.  It's an excellent camera, but low light
handling is one of its failures.

--
Giles
http://www.gilesorr.com/