Adding a hard drive

Paul King sciguy-Ja3L+HSX0kI at public.gmane.org
Sun Dec 24 06:04:48 UTC 2006

I have a 320G hard drive recently purchased, and after resolving some IRQ
conflicts with my network card (this HD runs off a PROMISE card, an IDE
card like my Ethernet card), I later try to format the HD, and it fails to
format under both XP and Linux. Both systems can see the HD. The HD is a
Seagate 320 GB IDE with a 16 MB cache.

The HD appears as /dev/hdg, and fdisk showed that it had no format to
begin with (unusual in my recent experience). I gave it a partition under
fdisk, and selected "W95 32 Bit" as I wanted to see the HD under both
systems (I have dual boot). Then I attempted to format it using mkfs.vfat,
and the

Buffer I/O error on device hdg1, logical block 30
end_request: I/O error, dev hdg, sector 187
Buffer I/O error on device hdg1, logical block 31
Warning: could not read block 0: Attempt to read block from filesystem
resulted
in short read
end_request: I/O error, dev hdg, sector 63
Warning: could not erase sector 0: Attempt to write block from filesystem
resulted in short write
Writing inode tables:  42/795

After this, a cathartic spewing of error messages of the likes of:

end_request: I/O error, dev hdg, sector 19661883
end_request: I/O error, dev hdg, sector 19661887
end_request: I/O error, dev hdg, sector 19661891
end_request: I/O error, dev hdg, sector 19661895
end_request: I/O error, dev hdg, sector 19661899

... and so on

The motherboard is an ASUS A7V running an Athlon K7 processor and 1 GB of
RAM. The HD is on the same cable as a DVD-ROM (one which is only lightly used). The HD is
intended to be used as storage, with no executables. The HD is hooked up
to a 2-port PROMISE IDE card.

Any help people can give me regarding my hard drive problem will be
helpful.

Thanks, and Season's Greetings

Paul King