help with makefiles

Matt Price matt.price-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Sun Dec 24 01:05:42 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-23-12 at 17:42 -0500, Simon wrote:
> I think it's a bug, I took the time to test it out, and it started
> behaving if I changed that ifndef block so that it's ifndef FLAVOURS
> instead of ifndef $(FLAVOURS).  I would guess that that's a bug, but
> I'm no make expert either, I find it somewhat confusing.  Anyway, are
> you sure you need to compile a custom kernel?  It seems to me like
> it's a big pain to do it in Ubuntu if you also need any modules that
> ship with their kernel.

yeah, it is a big pain, so I'm trying to modify the
linux-restricted-modules source package to make it easier.  The
developers don't really care about ordinary users who want to recompile
-- they're sort of opposed, actually -- but I think the ability to
recompile the kernel is a really important plus to a linux distro.

so it's not about me so much as about improving the process.  Right now
you can build l-r-m with some kludgy hacks but I would like to see
something better.  I am of course in over my head in this htough --
that's obvious I guess from how little I know about makefiles.

anyway I fixed it too with:
ifeq ($(strip $(FLAVOURS)),)
FLAVOURS := "generic 386 lowlatency"
endif
which works for some reason.   yours is better though so I'll change it.

matt