Vista, etc.

Simon simon80-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Dec 22 23:12:59 UTC 2006

On 12/22/06, D. Hugh Redelmeier <hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> [Please, folks, trim your posts.  And don't top-post.

I didn't realize this was a big deal to some people, it doesn't bother
me.  One of the reasons to use gmail is that it automatically folds
quoted text.

> I'm not even sure that X drivers don't compromise security: allowing
> direct access to the video card may allow direct access to anything in
> memory.  Even if you are only trusting the X server program, that is a
> lot of code to trust.
When you say X server program, what are you referring to?

> | also would say it got merged basically because it adds optional new
> | functionality without breaking anything.
>
> Yikes.  As if X didn't already have too many features.

I don't think that better hardware acceleration support or input
hotplugging  (an arbitrary alternate example) can be thought of as
feature creep.

> Actually, my ongoing concern is that the state of open-source OpenGL
> acceleration is really bad so requiring 3d performance practically
> requires proprietary (closed-source) drivers.
> As a defensive move, I've stocked up on a couple of Radeon 9250s and
> my latest laptop uses Intel graphics.  Both are slow but have
> open-source 3d acceleration.

I agree about this, and it's enough to make me want to do something
about it, because it's unconditionally removing all potential for
Linux as platform for modern games.