Dig. Camera

John Van Ostrand john-Da48MpWaEp0CzWx7n4ubxQ at public.gmane.org
Fri Dec 22 16:21:56 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-12-22 at 10:26 -0500, John Moniz wrote:

> My e-mails are at home and I'm at work right now, so don't know exactly who it was that suggested to do the picture transfers striclty with a card and card reader to save on camera battery. Is there a quality reason to prefer the xD over the SD card or vice versa? Certainly the SD cards are cheaper and more abundant.
>
> John.

The only two cameras that use the xD are Olympia and Fuji so if you buy
into xD you'll find you cannot use your cards anywhere else. They are
different than SD cards and are not interchangeable.

My Fuji camera was a present but I might have chosen to go with an
SD-based camera given comparable specs. Even so I haven't had much
problems in finding xD media and it really means that I have to
repurchase when moving to a larger camera. I'll probably have to do that
anyway since the jump in megapixels will require a boost in memory.

I seem to recall that xD was designed to store additional data about the
images like the model of camera and settings at the time. This doesn't
make sense to me since it must use a FAT file system and obviously uses
JPEGs.
--
John Van Ostrand
         Net Direct Inc.