Vista, etc.

Jamon Camisso jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Thu Dec 21 17:37:38 UTC 2006

Simon wrote:
> In Compiz/Beryl's defense, that Mac-ish bouncy icon bar is a separate
> project, and you can turn off any other effects you find nauseating,
> there's a modular plugin system with plenty of options.  I've only
> ever used compiz, and it was about 6 months ago, but I'm sure that one
> can find a decent reason to run Compiz or Beryl as a WM.

Such that Xorg 7 has AIGLX built in and active by default in many
distros (Fedora, Ubuntu). In fact, Fedora Core 6 features a simple 2
check box dialog to turn effects on and off. For those easily nauseated,
they've at least done the courteous thing and made sure the effects (not
the Xorg module) are off by default.

I for one have sold a few people on Ubuntu and Fedora on the basis of
the nifty Beryl effects, so like them or not, they are impressive and
fun for many in the under 30 crowd :p Even to the Mac OSX fans--one
friend, a New Media geek--switched to Ubuntu on his new MacBook... go
figure.