Hooked On Composite, Need New GPU

ted leslie tleslie-RBVUpeUoHUc at public.gmane.org
Wed Dec 20 22:37:08 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-12-20 at 15:45 -0500, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 20, 2006 at 03:19:38PM -0500, ted leslie wrote:
> > wasn't much choice for me,
> > i needed  dual dual-link dvi ability an that starts at 7900 series,
> > i only an using two 22" inches now but i didnt want to limit myself in
> > the future from
> > potentially using two 30" monitors, hence the 7900 had to be the choice.
> > compiz spins sreens as fast as i can move the mouse, and thats over a
> > 3200x1200 desktop (dual headed)
>
> Yeah if you need two dual links then you need the 7900.  The 7600 can do
> one.
>
> > i was hoping to get two samsung 30" 2560x1600 puppies that were supposed
> > to be out a month ago, but no sign yet, and for that i need the 7900
> > card
> > with dual dual link, and have them rotated to be in portrait mode and
> > have a 3200x2560 desk top.
>
> Is the samsung's supposed to be better than the dell's?  Can you
> actually rotate those things?

My 22" samsung rotates just fine, they said the 30" would also, but that
remains to be seen.

i dont rotate them now because my xorg.conf when config as one video
card, with rotate on, rotates it in such a way the monuitors would have
to be vertical in order to work,
i have to figure out how to do a xorg.conf with the one card being
treated as two , and do a rotate and then it will work, i hope.

the samsung is nice, but i have never seen it side by side with dell or
apples product,  i bought the dell because it has the high contract
ratio and brightness that the dell and apple don't.
The samsung has the slight capacitance traces on it, but i think
thats actaully a driver issue, as i dont see it when i see samsung's on
windows boxes,
aside from the whites being a slight bit dirty (or maybe the better word
would be matte finish verses gloss from a crt) the samsung and my FE1250
NEC 22" crt are almost identical, but the samsung is easier on the eyes
and
i got to figure its bombarding me with a lot less radiation.

my one worry with flat panels ... i.e. dead pixels has not yet produced
a single dead one in one year, so thats good to. i hear some manufact.
have in their warentee that up to 6 dead pixels a year is allowed,
which scares the hell out of me.

i have only meet one person that says they have a dead pixel on a flat
panel, so i wonder just how common it really can be?

-tl