Hooked On Composite, Need New GPU

JoeHill joehill-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Wed Dec 20 18:24:41 UTC 2006

On Wed, 20 Dec 2006 13:05:57 -0500
Lennart Sorensen got an infinite number of monkeys to type out:

> > ...actually, *really* thanks! That's one store I had not seen before, so I
> > went browsing, and for $30 more, this MONSTER:
> >
> > http://canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=011030&cid=999.821
> >
> > (sorry, tinyurl seems to be having probs)
> >
> > Whoa. I might not have to upgrade for like a whole...six months? LOL!
>
> Well the 6800XT has almost twice the memory bandwidth, while the 7600GS
> has about twice the pixel processing speed.  The 7600 is also a newer
> generation.  Probably the better choice over all.

Well, I must say, your first note scared the bejeezus out of me, because, like
the impulsive person I am, I already ordered the 7600!

...but, my heart rate has gone down now, thanks :-)

One thing: (well, two): how important is the 'dual core' bit? Does that enable,
like the name seems to imply, parallel processing of some kind?

...and:

The RAMDAC in general, which is somewhat faster (and 'dual core', if that
matters). I did some Googling before I ordered, and I got the impression that
the speed and, for lack of better term, size, was a big boost. No?

Thanks for the info!...but jeez, at first I thought 'Oh crap, I fell for the
'BFG' thing like a total sucker'.

Well, I kinda did, but...

--
JoeHill / RLU #282046