We need VMware packages for Fedora and Debian (was: C header files location)

Jason Spiro jasonspiro4-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sun Dec 17 20:45:01 UTC 2006

Joseph Kubik wrote:
> I don't know of any plans to support Debian.
> Last time we tried (several years ago) the relationship did not work out well.
 >
> If the Debian community steering committee approaches our partner engineering
> group and started the relationship again I could see VMware adding support.
>
> If you need a contact, I can try to find out who the host OS support partner
> contact is.

Debian is a group of numerous volunteer packagers. They don't have a
community steering committee. Did you try discussing the issue you had
on debian-devel?

Note, though, that Debian is fairly strict about one thing: Packages
must conform to Debian policy, which sets out the quality criteria that
packages must meet, relating to manpages and such things.

One option is to package for Ubuntu first, then Debian later. But my
advice is just to write to debian-devel and find a new contact to work
with. Two kind and friendly people from IRC #debian I know personally
and can recommend are dondelelcaro and azeem. I can get you their email
addresses if you want.

Also: Why is there a need to get along with your contact from a few
years ago at Debian? You can just package the software yourself and put
the .debs up on the web, though it's better to get them on
ftp.debian.org if possible (acceptance there is a mark of quality.) Help
with packaging is available on the debian-mentors and ubuntu-devel
mailing lists and IRC channels, which are all very helpful.

Cheers,
Jason