C header files location

Chris Aitken chris-n/jUll39koHNgV/OU4+dkA at public.gmane.org
Sun Dec 17 13:02:05 UTC 2006

Tim Writer wrote:

>Simon is correct. You have to provide the output of:
>
>   % echo /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build/include
>
>to vmware, i.e. in Simon's case:
>
>    /lib/modules/2.6.17-10-generic/build/include
>
>Can I make a suggestion? Chris is having a lot of trouble with this and I
>think part of it is the confusion added by well meaning people who aren't
>sure of the problem but think they can help. If you don't know with
>certainty how to help Chris, wait to see if someone else responds before
>responding with something that might be incorrect.

I hope you guys won't mind that I did an OS (FC4) re-install. There was
nothing on this new installation that I couldn't live without so I
thought I'd do an 'Everything' install (I have the room) so that all
libraries, headers, whatever (at least all that come with the four FC4
CDs) would be on the computer. Well, I guess that solved the header
problem but now I seem to have a new problem. I didn't start a new
thread in case this new problem is, somehow, still connected to the old
one. Please let me know if I should start a new thread. Sorry, I didn't
solve the header problem with the advice offered. Frankly, as intersting
as it was, some (a lot) of the information offered (coding et al) was
simply over my head (humbling, actually). Thanks for all the help - I
know you guys put a lot of time into this.

I am serious about solving this problem if you're still up to helping
me. This PC will be a gift for my teenager. He likes to play old Windows
games. If I gave him the PC with no OS on it he would just throw W98SE
on it. I'm trying to make a system that will guest W98SE in a virtual
machine so he can play his games. I'm not just trying to push linux on
him  (well, maybe a *little*) - I want Linux on there so it's part of
our four-PC network (for printing, backing up with scp, etc.).

Any help is appreciated and *will* be follwoed.

Chris