C header files location

Tim Writer tim-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Mon Dec 11 15:39:53 UTC 2006

Simon is correct. You have to provide the output of:

   % echo /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build/include

to vmware, i.e. in Simon's case:

    /lib/modules/2.6.17-10-generic/build/include

Can I make a suggestion? Chris is having a lot of trouble with this and I
think part of it is the confusion added by well meaning people who aren't
sure of the problem but think they can help. If you don't know with
certainty how to help Chris, wait to see if someone else responds before
responding with something that might be incorrect.

Simon <simon80-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> writes:

> You have to interpolate the `uname -r` part in a shell, and then pass
> the output to the vmware script.
>
> As an example, on my system in a terminal:
>
> $ echo /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build/include
> /lib/modules/2.6.17-10-generic/build/include
>
> $ uname -r
> 2.6.17-10-generic
>
> As you can see, the output of uname -r replaces `uname -r` in the echo command.
>
> Simon
>
> On 12/9/06, chris-n/jUll39koHNgV/OU4+dkA at public.gmane.org <chris-n/jUll39koHNgV/OU4+dkA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> > What is the location of the directory of C header files that match your
> > running
> > kernel? [/usr/src/linux/include] /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build/include
> >
> > The path "/lib/modules/`uname -r`/build/include" is not an existing
> > directory.

tim writer <tim-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org>                                  starnix inc.
647.722.5301                                      toronto, ontario, canada