Automated purge of deleted email items

Ian Petersen ispeters-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Dec 15 21:07:47 UTC 2006

My personal mail server (qmail) stores all my email in maildir format.
 I've set up an IMAP server (binc) on top of that.

In my scenario, deleted messages end up in $HOME/.maildir/Trash/cur if
they've been read, and they might end up in $HOME/.maildir/Trash/new
if they've not been read, but I can't confirm that bit.

Each message is a separate file so, if I wanted to accomplish the same
thing on my home server, I'd create a cronjob that used something like

find /home/*/.maildir/Trash/{new,cur} -type f -delete

possibly with some of the date modifiers to only remove files that are
more than N days old.  If your version of find doesn't support -delete
(I think it's fairly new) you can either use

find /home/*/.maildir/Trash/{new,cur} -type f -exec rm \{\} \;

or

find /home/*/.maildir/Trash/{new,cur} -type f | xargs rm

whichever you prefer.

Of course, if your mail store isn't in maildir format, then I have no idea.

Ian

--
Tired of pop-ups, security holes, and spyware?
Try Firefox: http://www.getfirefox.com