Automated purge of deleted email items

Scott Elcomb psema4-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Dec 15 20:34:30 UTC 2006

On 12/15/06, Lennart Sorensen <lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> There are settings in the mail clients that will purge on close
> automatically.  Why is that setting not enabled by default?  It is not
> the imap servers job to decide when to purge messages, that is the
> responsibility of the client.

The setting isn't enabled by default because that would require
training people to do something "complicated."  Yes, I know how bad
that sounds.  lol.  There's also the possibility that people will
delete email items by accident, and may wish to recover them even
after closing the folder/client.

By running a cron job late at night, this offers our users the ability
to recover deleted email before the following day.  After that,
they're SOL.  Or at least, that's what my superiors would like.

--
Scott Elcomb
http://atomos.sourceforge.net/

  - Benjamin Franklin

'"A lie can travel halfway around the world while the truth is putting
on its shoes."

  - Mark Twain