We need VMware packages for Fedora and Debian (was: C header files location)

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Thu Dec 14 18:02:32 UTC 2006

On Wed, Dec 13, 2006 at 11:26:42PM -0500, Jason Spiro wrote:
> Do VMware not ship packages for Fedora Core? I know they don't have
> Debian packages. There's only a vmware-player package in Debian.
>
> I wish VMware was packaged for Debian. We should all write to VMware and
> suggest it. Anyone know the proper email address is?

I just use the vmware tar file and install to /usr/local and it works
perfectly.  The unisntall cleans up nicely too.  It is one of the few
things that goes cleanly and easily enough that I haven't made debian
packages for it and I tend to do that for most things I install.

> By the way, Marc Haber has kindly created a Debian package (in contrib)
> called vmware-package. Description follows. Marc, perhaps you know: do
> VMware have any plans for creating real Debian packages for VMware Server?
>
> "This package provides the capability to create Debian packages for
> various VMware products and related software by obtaining VMware
> tarballs and then just running make-vmpkg.

Hmm, I should look at that.

--
Len Sorensen