We need VMware packages for Fedora and Debian (was: C header files location)

Jason Spiro jasonspiro4-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Dec 14 04:26:42 UTC 2006

Tim Writer wrote:
[snip]
> If this directory doesn't exist, the kernel headers aren't installed. I'm
> not a Fedora user but I'm fairly certain you need to install the
> kernel-devel package. You should be able to do that with yum. There may be
> several versions of this package. The version and architecture of this
> package should match the kernel you have installed.

Do VMware not ship packages for Fedora Core? I know they don't have
Debian packages. There's only a vmware-player package in Debian.

I wish VMware was packaged for Debian. We should all write to VMware and
suggest it. Anyone know the proper email address is?

By the way, Marc Haber has kindly created a Debian package (in contrib)
called vmware-package. Description follows. Marc, perhaps you know: do
VMware have any plans for creating real Debian packages for VMware Server?

"This package provides the capability to create Debian packages for
various VMware products and related software by obtaining VMware
tarballs and then just running make-vmpkg.

It can currently build Debian packages for the following VMware and
VMware related products:

    * VMware kernel modules for Linux, using the vmware-any-any tarball

It is planned to extend make-vmkg to build Debian packages for the
following VMware products:

    * VMware Player 1.0.2

Please note that you need to download the corresponding tarballs
yourself, and that the resulting .deb files are non-free and
non-distributable.

The package is meant to aid a local admin to roll out VMware products
to their local systems by means of the packaging system."