idea question for fellow sysadmins

Madison Kelly linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Tue Dec 12 17:50:20 UTC 2006

Evan Leibovitch wrote:
> There are companies that offer this kind of service for a fee. CBL Data
> Recovery in Markham is one that I've used before with success; they also
> do clean-room recovery of damaged disks. But they're not cheap.

There are others much more capable at data recovery which I don't intend
to try to compete with. My goal would be a simple conversion service.
You have (good) media but not the reader, you send it to me, I dump the
data to a DVD/HDD and send you back the results.

> I don't know about demand, but I do have something to offer to the
> effort. I have an external Exabyte in perfect condition, and I might
> have others.

   That would be very kind of you! I don't know if this will get off the
ground, but even worse case scenario I still learn how to add wide
hardware support to my backup program. :)

Want to send me an email off list? I've got a car so I can come to you,
if that would be preferable.

Madi