idea question for fellow sysadmins

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Tue Dec 12 16:04:35 UTC 2006

Madison Kelly wrote:
> Would there be any demand for someone to build a collection of old
> media hardware for the purpose of recovering old data to a modern
> format? Before I go to the effort of building a collection of
> old/obscure media drives though, I wanted to pick TLUGs brain,
> specially of you sysadmin types.
There are companies that offer this kind of service for a fee. CBL Data
Recovery in Markham is one that I've used before with success; they also
do clean-room recovery of damaged disks. But they're not cheap.

> I realize there are questions like filesystem types, file formats and
> such to consider before I could get off the ground, but I wanted to
> see if there might be any demand before starting this. Thanks for any
> feedback!
I don't know about demand, but I do have something to offer to the
effort. I have an external Exabyte in perfect condition, and I might
have others.

- Evan