Fedora Core 6

billt-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org billt-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org
Wed Dec 6 21:38:29 UTC 2006

As promised my notes:

Fortunately, I had few problems in this installation.
 After installations I have had some weirdness occuring and I am still investigating if this is a configuration symptom or a problem with the distribution.

The most serious problem I have found is that the machine decides to freeze up for 30 seconds randomly. It has occurred four times in the three days since the machine was installed with Fedora 6. It never occurred in Fedora 5.

Preparation

1) I copied the following files onto another filesystem for safe keeping:
    /etc/fstab
    /etc/hosts
    /etc/resolv.conf

   These files have information in them that will be needed for the post install configuration.

2) I have my /home directory NFS mounted. I made sure that everything that I wanted to keep was safely on those drives. This included the /var/www and /var/log/pgsql /usr/local/ and parts of /usr/lib directories. The /usr/share directory was also copied over just in case some configuration or preferences are needed.

Installation

The first attempt was a complete failure. The boot CD (fedora 6 cd01) refused to boot. I am not sure why. After several attempts, and after checking the CD itself, I decided that the CD was bad and burnt another CD.

The second attempt booted to the boot prompt successfully. I went through to the point where I can choose the install. Anaconda died with a reboot when I chose the Fedora Extras' option.

The third attempt was exactly as the second, but I did not choose the 'Fedora Extras' option. This attempt successfully installed the operating system. About an hour later, I rebooted and was in Fedora 6.

Comments

Overall it was a simple, but fustrating install.

I dicided to avoid selinux altogether this time. Perhaps I will do this in the second install of Fedora 6.

I'm not sure what is new and shiny in Fedora 6. It looks like all the applications have been updated to there newset releases.