Vista, etc. (was: Re: Employment linux admin/programmer wanted)

JoeHill joehill-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Tue Dec 12 03:10:56 UTC 2006

On Mon, 11 Dec 2006 12:46:24 -0500
Simon got an infinite number of monkeys to type out:

>  Here's to hoping AMD has the right attitude about ATI's graphics
> chips and free software, cause one of my dreams is to be able to game
> on Linux without any compromise.  That's the sort of thing that
> motivates me, believe it or not..

Funny you say that, that's exactly what prompted me to reply the way I did. My
GL rendering is borked, and I have been to hell and back trying to figure out
why. Every single diagnostic I run (glxinfo, blah blah blah, into infinity)
says that all the libraries are in the correct path, the right strings are
being passed from libGL.so.1, etc.

Direct rendering? No (and no, I don't have composite enabled).

Sigh. That's why, if someone could set up a box for me that would just do
gaming, and handle a reasonable level of graphics (I'm not looking for Doom3 at
1600x1200x24 here), that would be severely hard to resist. I'm so sick of the
balancing act between a solid, up-to-date, good build environment, and just
having a whole lot of silly fun. MDV 2007 ain't lookin' much better, either.

--
JoeHill / RLU #282046