wireless router problem

Colin McGregor colinmc151-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Mon Dec 11 18:00:21 UTC 2006

--- John McGregor <mr.mcgregor-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> > How old is this router?  I have an 802.11b router
> from Linksys and I
> > used to have trouble with it locking up every now
> and again.  The
> > solution was to upgrade the firmware--I had missed
> about 5 releases.
> > I haven't had any trouble with it since.
> It's a WRT54G and was purchased within the last two
> months. Because it's
> so new, I'm cautious about a firmware upgrade until
> research shows
> whether the unit can, in fact, accept an upgrade to
> OSS firmware.

The most recent WRT54G routers do not come with Linux,
thry can be made to run Linux, but, but, but. In
essence about the time Linksys started shipping the
WRT54GL routers they introduced a cost reduced version
of the WRT54G router (less memory, proprietary OS).
Folks have found they can still cram a very stripped
down Linux into those boxes, but ...

So, most WRT54G versions of Linux are off the table
for you. Not sure about a solution to your lock-up
problem...

Colin McGregor