Employment linux admin/programmer wanted

Alex Beamish talexb-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Dec 8 14:52:47 UTC 2006

On 12/7/06, Evan Leibovitch <evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> ted leslie wrote:
> [..]
> > If you knew/hated MS as much in 89-95 as you do now, what OS would you
> > have used back then on your desk top? Well actually from 81-93 i used
> > apple prodcuts but most people did the dos windows shit.
> >
> From the mid-80s to the mid-90s my home desktop was a variety of
> Intel-based Unix systems. The first computer program my four-year-old
> son learned was 'vi', and now he's in his 20s.

I used the DOS/Windows s**t and hated it -- so I moved to the far superior
OS/2, although there were certainly a few bumps along the way.

It was coming along nicely (notwithstanding IBM Marketing's fumbling
approach to promoting this technically superior product) while Microsoft was
going through the same exercise with Windows 95 that it's since done with
Windows NT, Windows XP and now Windows Vista. We had monthly meetings of
user groups, a nice magazine, running battles with Microsoft lovers
(particularly on the Canopus form on Compuserve) .. it was all the same
thing as we have now between GNU/Linux and Windows XP and Windows Vista.

Microsoft's approach to launch their new OS seems to be

1. Announce a killer new version, with killer new features;
2. Announce a delay;
3. Announce features that won't be included after all;
4. Trash anyone who says you'll need to double your processor speed, hard
drive space, RAM and display resolution;
5. Announce further delays;
6. Announce that because of the new features, the OS will require more
resources, like a faster processor, a larger hard drive, more RAM and, hey,
you may as well get a better video card while you're at it. Oh, and some
applications may no longer work -- you'll have to upgrade those as well.
Sorry!
7. Demo an early alpha release -- odds are one in three that it will crash;
8. Corral a couple of corporate early adopters and trot them out at every
opportunity;
9. Announce a first beta that works for some and not for others;
10. Announce a second beta that turns out much better;
11. Announce an end to support for the n-2th version of Windows;
12. Announce further delays;
13. Finally commit to a release date;
14. Cue the wanna-be geeks to line up at midnight for their new copy of
Windows; and ..
15. Profit?? Of course. Who do you think we're talking about?

I swear, you could almost make a board game out of this performance that
Microsoft goes through every five years. Do I sound old and cranky yet? ;)

--
Alex Beamish
Toronto, Ontario