Employment linux admin/programmer wanted

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Fri Dec 8 03:59:28 UTC 2006

ted leslie wrote:
> it is a ecma spec,
Ah, yes, ECMA. The place to go when ISO and IEEE don't want your
steekin' standard. :-)

> its open source, GPL/X11, run on where every you want it (community puts it), including nokia tablet 770, etc,etc,etc.

Isn't there a difference between "portability is a design goal" and
"well, with enough screaming and gnashing of teeth, we got it working on
some different platforms".

> If MS buys sun do you stop using java?
No, but only because there are other sources of Java around (and Sun's
committed to open sourcing it, a new owner can't undo it once it's done).

Consider:

Within months of its purchase by Microsoft, Fox Software -- whose
Foxbase was a better dBASE than dBASE -- dropped Unix support, leaving
tens of thousands of users scrambling for alternate database solutions.

Within months of it receiving investment cash from Microsoft, Corel went
from being a longtime avid supporter of Linux (remember the bobsled ads
and Netwinders?) to kicking its distribution to the curb (now Xandros)
and eliminating Linux support from WordPerfect and CorelDraw,

(One of WordPerfect's original claims to fame was its cross-platform
operability. Wasn't it originally developed for Data General systems?
Now it's just for one platform.)

So yes, Ted, from a Linux user's POV Microsoft indeed has a reverse
Midas touch. No wonder people are so edgy about the deal with Novell.

> buys sony, do you go to panasonic?

Yes, or at least to Nintendo. If MS bought Sony you can bet one of the
first casualties would be Playstation support of Linux.

> If you knew/hated MS as much in 89-95 as you do now, what OS would you
> have used back then on your desk top? Well actually from 81-93 i used
> apple prodcuts but most people did the dos windows shit.

 From the mid-80s to the mid-90s my home desktop was a variety of
Intel-based Unix systems. The first computer program my four-year-old
son learned was 'vi', and now he's in his 20s.

> The best way to beat Microsoft is to do what ever is best to empower
> yourself to kick them in the teeth.

Understood. But when you try to do so using their tools, to a certain
extent you're playing by their rules, and that suggests an immediate
handicap to challengers.

- Evan