How to increase the value of a $100 PC to $250 and make it unaffordable

Peter P. plpeter2006-/E1597aS9LQAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Dec 6 16:02:14 UTC 2006

Simon <simon80 at ...> writes:

> I just realized today that I find the subject of this thread
> disagreeable: putting a Microsoft OS on these devices wouldn't add to
> their value, it would just bump up the price.  That's probably what
> you meant, anyway - I honestly don't think that any amount of short
> term effort from Microsoft can trump the elegance of Unix combined
> with the cumulative output of an over 20 year long meritocracy of
> passionate developers releasing free software.  Of course (and sadly),
> if they coat it in enough varnish, some will not notice the lack of
> power under the hood.

I apologise for the the subject, I forgot the ticks around the word 'increase'.
Fixed now. Of course the title was to be understood as a bitter thing, said with
the tongue firmly planted in the cheek, and dripping with sarcasm.

At the time I also quipped on this list about BG remarking the OLPC as being
'useless' and flogging his new tablet PC as a $1900 replacement (for the third
world, no less).

Peter