How to increase the value of a $100 PC to $250 and make it unaffordable

Simon simon80-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Dec 6 15:26:33 UTC 2006

I just realized today that I find the subject of this thread
disagreeable: putting a Microsoft OS on these devices wouldn't add to
their value, it would just bump up the price.  That's probably what
you meant, anyway - I honestly don't think that any amount of short
term effort from Microsoft can trump the elegance of Unix combined
with the cumulative output of an over 20 year long meritocracy of
passionate developers releasing free software.  Of course (and sadly),
if they coat it in enough varnish, some will not notice the lack of
power under the hood.

Simon