looking for shared web hosting

Michael Hong crepuscule-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Tue Dec 5 01:22:03 UTC 2006

On Sun, 03 Dec 2006 23:28 -0500, Ian Petersen wrote:
> Regarding hosting solutions, I have had good experiences with
> http://asmallorange.com.  They offer a "Tiny" package, which is 75MB
> disk space, and 3GB/month transfer for 25 USD/year.  If that's not
> enough, they also offer "Small", which is 400MB disk, 10GB/month
> transfer for 5 USD/month.  There are larger plans called "Medium",
> "Large", and "Super".
>
> If you sign up with them and find yourself running out of space,
> they'll gladly upgrade your plan for you and give you a pro-rated
> credit for whatever you've already bought but not used.
>
> They also offer something they call "Extreme", which is basically
> cheap file storage--you can have 1500MB disk and 100GB/month transfer
> for 20 USD/month up to 6000MB disk and 500GB/month transfer for 60
> USD/month--but you can't run any scripts, or anything--it's purely for
> static content.
>
> IIRC, they don't give you ssh access by default, but all it takes is
> to request it.  I think they try to limit ssh access to those people
> who know what it is so that they can keep the number of open ports
> down.
>
> They're also very reasonable about handing out "free" features.  In
> other words, they don't artificially limit anything.  You can have as
> many MySQL or PostgreSQL databases as fit in your disk space.  You can
> have as many subdomains as you want, as many email addresses as you
> want, etc., etc.  The only constraints are disk space and transfer.
>
> The tech support is also timely and helpful.  I didn't have many
> problems when I was using their service, but whatever issues I had
> were dealt with quickly, efficiently, and very much to my
> satisfaction.
>
> Apparently, they also have some kind of referral service, but I'm not
> a customer of theirs anymore, so this "review" is not going to get me
> anything.

Thanks for mentioning them, some of the places I'm considering don't
offer a shell.  I guess there are pros and cons to that, no shell, fewer
worries about malicious people creating havoc on the shared server
maybe.  If I pick a place by most interesting name and tidiest website
(which I may :) ) I'll definitely go with them.

Michael