looking for shared web hosting

Ian Petersen ispeters-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Dec 4 04:28:27 UTC 2006

Regarding hosting solutions, I have had good experiences with
http://asmallorange.com.  They offer a "Tiny" package, which is 75MB
disk space, and 3GB/month transfer for 25 USD/year.  If that's not
enough, they also offer "Small", which is 400MB disk, 10GB/month
transfer for 5 USD/month.  There are larger plans called "Medium",
"Large", and "Super".

If you sign up with them and find yourself running out of space,
they'll gladly upgrade your plan for you and give you a pro-rated
credit for whatever you've already bought but not used.

They also offer something they call "Extreme", which is basically
cheap file storage--you can have 1500MB disk and 100GB/month transfer
for 20 USD/month up to 6000MB disk and 500GB/month transfer for 60
USD/month--but you can't run any scripts, or anything--it's purely for
static content.

IIRC, they don't give you ssh access by default, but all it takes is
to request it.  I think they try to limit ssh access to those people
who know what it is so that they can keep the number of open ports
down.

They're also very reasonable about handing out "free" features.  In
other words, they don't artificially limit anything.  You can have as
many MySQL or PostgreSQL databases as fit in your disk space.  You can
have as many subdomains as you want, as many email addresses as you
want, etc., etc.  The only constraints are disk space and transfer.

The tech support is also timely and helpful.  I didn't have many
problems when I was using their service, but whatever issues I had
were dealt with quickly, efficiently, and very much to my
satisfaction.

Apparently, they also have some kind of referral service, but I'm not
a customer of theirs anymore, so this "review" is not going to get me
anything.

Ian

--
Tired of pop-ups, security holes, and spyware?
Try Firefox: http://www.getfirefox.com