KnoppMyth on a 320G drive

Colin McGregor colinmc151-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Mon Dec 4 16:46:23 UTC 2006

--- Merv Curley <mervc-MwcKTmeKVNQ at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Sunday 03 December 2006 01:52, Simon wrote:
> > The installer doesn't let you manually specify how
> to use the
> > partitions on the drive?  Yikes...  Perhaps you
> should make do with a
> > more mainstream distribution - I've never thought
> it necessary to have
> > a whole separate distribution just for the sake of
> one piece of
> > software.  Perhaps if it's a group of niche
> software and you want to
> > ensure that the latest copies get included, but
> even then, a
> > repository or overlay will do that just as well.
> >
> > Simon
> >
> Nope, I find it odd also, but KnoppMyth wants a
> whole drive all to itself.  I
> assume so they have complete control based on past
> experiences.

Not quite that simple, if you use the manual install
option KnoppMyth will try and put everything into the
first partition, and as long as that first partion is
5+ GB all is well. So, what I did for one KnoppMyth
box was:

- Boot into Knoppix, basicly partition the drive the
way I wanted, just made sure hda1 was 5 GB. Key point
in this process was I wanted /myth (which stores TV
shows) to be on hdc1.
- Boot into KnoppMyth, do basic install.
- Boot back into Knoppix, shifting things around, edit
/etc/fstab .
- Re-boot box and complete configuration of MythTV

A bit messy, but no real problems along the way.

Colin McGregor