moving to a larger hard drive...

Aaron Vegh aaronvegh-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sat Dec 2 13:59:51 UTC 2006

Hey Teddy,
It simply isn't practical to keep the 30GB around. It's practically
full now (~5GB left), and I really don't like the idea of having an
attached external hard drive. I intend to archive recorded video to
DVD... I don't have even enough room on the current drive to do that!

I've been searching the archives of TLUG correspondence, and found a
similar topic being discussed. Lennart (who else?) suggested:

------------snip
Partition, make filesystems, mount new partition, then cp -ax
/oldpartition /newpartition

That is the PROPER way to do it, and probably the fastest too since it
only copies the data.

dd is great for making clones of a disk to another identical disk.

You will have to reinstall the MBR/boot loader on the new disk of
course.

Of course. :-) I actually found a resource to explain that too:
http://linuxhelp.blogspot.com/2005/11/how-to-repair-corrupt-mbr-and-boot.html

Looks trivial enough. So I'm waiting for the cp operation to complete,
and we'll see if this works out. Fast, it aint...

Thanks,
Aaron.