Mildly OT: AMD's latest chip(s)

Jamon Camisso jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Fri Dec 1 17:41:56 UTC 2006

Andrej Marjan wrote:
> Alex Beamish wrote:
>> I think this chip (or pair of chips) is a non-starter, based on the
>> combination of a) power consumption, b) noise, c) price and d) ho-hum
>> performance. From what I've seen lately, the best bang for a buck is a
>> P4 2.4 with loads of RAM -- but that's probably only because I'm not
>> convinced a 64 bit processor is any better than any of the
>> tried-and-true 32 bit processors around.
>>
>> I used to wonder at power supplies capable of 1kW loads .. now I
>> understand what they were being built for.
>
> Games. Those quad SLI contraptions from nVidia (and whatever ATI offer
> as an equivalent) require an obscene amount of power.

Ati is coming out with a card soon that recommends having 2 power
supplies. Apparently the card will draw about 250watts... Imagine that
in an SLI configuration, you're talking 1/2 a kilowatt just for the
video cards, nevermind the cpu(s) to take advantage of all that
bandwidth and speed. GAH!

Jamon