Getting my CD burner working

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue Aug 29 13:07:28 UTC 2006

On Mon, Aug 28, 2006 at 07:31:09PM -0400, Tom Watts wrote:
> Thanks for the suggestion, this is as far as I get with it still
> apparently running and the lights on the burner haven't flashed once.
>
> # cdrecord -dev ATAPI:/dev/hdc file.iso
> cdrecord: No write mode specified.
> cdrecord: Asuming -tao mode.
> cdrecord: Future versions of cdrecord may have different drive dependent
> defaults.
> cdrecord: Continuing in 5 seconds...
> Cdrecord-Clone 2.01.01a03-dvd (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C)
> 1995-2005 J?rg Schilling
> NOTE: This version contains the OSS DVD extensions for cdrtools and thus may
>       have bugs related to DVD issues that are not present in the original
>       cdrtools. Please send bug reports or support requests to
>       http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla The original cdrtools author
> should
>       not be bothered with problems in this version.
> scsidev: 'ATAPI:/dev/hdc'
> devname: 'ATAPI:/dev/hdc'
> scsibus: -2 target: -2 lun: -2
> Use of ATA is preferred over ATAPI.
> Warning: Using ATA Packet interface.
> Warning: The related Linux kernel interface code seems to be unmaintained.
> Warning: There is absolutely NO DMA, operations thus are slow.
> Using libscg version 'schily-0.8'.
> Device type    : Removable CD-ROM
> Version        : 0
> Response Format: 1
> Vendor_info    : 'CyberDrv'
> Identifikation : 'CW088D CD-R/RW  '
> Revision       : '15HF'
> Device seems to be: Generic mmc CD-RW.
> Using generic SCSI-3/mmc   CD-R/CD-RW driver (mmc_cdr).
> Driver flags   : MMC-2 SWABAUDIO BURNFREE
> Supported modes: TAO PACKET SAO SAO/R96P SAO/R96R RAW/R16 RAW/R96P RAW/R96R
>
> Does this look like a bad drive?

What does it do after that?

I also suggest avoiding the cdrecord with the broken dvd patch like the
plague.  It is useless, usually broken, and for burning DVD's
dvd+rw-tools are much much much better.

You can also try using -dev ATA:/dev/hdc instead.  On some systems that
works better.

And of course make sure there is no ide-scsi listed in 'lsmod'.

At least it is detecting the drive and lots of details about it.

Which kernel version are you on?

--
Len Sorensen