Getting my CD burner working

Tom Watts wattst-dxuVLtCph9gsA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Mon Aug 28 23:31:09 UTC 2006

Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> If windows creates bad CDs according to the media check, then most
> likely you are using bad media (or media your drive doesn't like) or the
> burner is failing.
>

> On a modern system (using a 2.6 kernel and no ide-scsi emulation garbage
> loaded), you should have to do something like:
>
> cdrecord -scanbus -dev ATAPI:
>
> To use a drive you should do:
> cdrecord -dev ATAPI:/dev/hdc ...
>
> Works for me.  Now hopefully sometime soon libata for pata will get
> merged into the 2.6 kernel, after which all devices should show up as
> scsi, and cdrecord should be happy again without stupid ATAPI options.
>
> For writing DVDs, you would do:
> growisofs -Z /dev/hdc=file.iso
> or
> growisofs -Z /dev/hdc -J -R -othermkisofsoptions /path/to/files/to/burn
> or replace -Z with -M to append to a disc made with the above line.
>
> Personally I am very happy with my plextor drives, since at least for
> DVD drives being able to update the firmware to support new brands of
> disc properly is quite handy, and plextor is the only make I know of
> that has a linux tool for updating firmware.
>
> --
> Len Sorensen

Thanks for the suggestion, this is as far as I get with it still
apparently running and the lights on the burner haven't flashed once.

# cdrecord -dev ATAPI:/dev/hdc file.iso
cdrecord: No write mode specified.
cdrecord: Asuming -tao mode.
cdrecord: Future versions of cdrecord may have different drive dependent
defaults.
cdrecord: Continuing in 5 seconds...
Cdrecord-Clone 2.01.01a03-dvd (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C)
1995-2005 Jörg Schilling
NOTE: This version contains the OSS DVD extensions for cdrtools and thus may
       have bugs related to DVD issues that are not present in the original
       cdrtools. Please send bug reports or support requests to
       http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla The original cdrtools author
should
       not be bothered with problems in this version.
scsidev: 'ATAPI:/dev/hdc'
devname: 'ATAPI:/dev/hdc'
scsibus: -2 target: -2 lun: -2
Use of ATA is preferred over ATAPI.
Warning: Using ATA Packet interface.
Warning: The related Linux kernel interface code seems to be unmaintained.
Warning: There is absolutely NO DMA, operations thus are slow.
Using libscg version 'schily-0.8'.
Device type    : Removable CD-ROM
Version        : 0
Response Format: 1
Vendor_info    : 'CyberDrv'
Identifikation : 'CW088D CD-R/RW  '
Revision       : '15HF'
Device seems to be: Generic mmc CD-RW.
Using generic SCSI-3/mmc   CD-R/CD-RW driver (mmc_cdr).
Driver flags   : MMC-2 SWABAUDIO BURNFREE
Supported modes: TAO PACKET SAO SAO/R96P SAO/R96R RAW/R16 RAW/R96P RAW/R96R

Does this look like a bad drive?

-Tom