New ubuntu install freezes on boot on IBM T21 laptop

Alex Maynard amaynard-vQ8rsROW2HJSpjfjxSPG1fd9D2ou9A/h at public.gmane.org
Thu Aug 24 14:33:04 UTC 2006

> It is probably not a distro problem, but that some aspect of hardware is
> misconfigured and balking the boot.  Can you report the place in the
> boot process that the "blanking" happens?  If the screen is going blank
> I would think it'd be a power management setting that's barfing, but it
> could be a range of things.

Thanks very much to everyone who wrote back with suggestions.  I got
really tied up with some other work and am only now able to try to fix
this.

The messages fly by pretty quickly during the boot, so even booting
several times I couldn't catch everything.  The last boot messages before
the screen went blank were:

starting ACPI services
starting system log
starting kernel log.

A few of the more important sounding messages that came up a while before
this were:

uncompressing linux kernel
mounting root file system
configuring network interfaces

(there were a lot more but I couldn't catch them all.)

Thank again!!

Alex