New ubuntu install freezes on boot on IBM T21 laptop

Allen Taylor tlug-G8usDCtqe957Ar2qsurDTA at public.gmane.org
Tue Aug 22 03:19:06 UTC 2006

On Mon, Aug 21, 2006 at 02:26:54PM -0400, Alex Maynard wrote:

> Hi All:
>
> Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on a problem I've been having
> with IBM T21 laptop?
>
> I installed a new kubuntu disk on my laptop. At first it worked well. But
> about a day later it started going blank halfway through reboot and kept
> doing this.  So essentially I couldn't boot from the hard drive.
> . . .

I played a bit with xubuntu on my "new" T21 (with a grand 64MB of
memory). I had a similar problem - hanging as soon as X launched.
Recovery mode boot would come up to a command prompt with no problem.
Since I'm not really up on Debian and its derivatives, I went back to
Slackware and installed X using frame buffer mode - works fine.  I'm
sure I could have gotten xubuntu to work as well with frame buffer mode
if I had spent a bit of time on it.

Allen