Brawling with BitTorrent

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Tue Aug 22 22:45:35 UTC 2006

On Tue, Aug 22, 2006 at 08:22:35AM -0400, Gregory D Hough wrote

> Is anyone familiar with BitTorrent? I have a problem with it. I don't
> use it myself for anything cause I ain't a TV junkie or hyper-music
> enthusiast and I buy my distros attached to Linux magazines. I am just
> fed up with a persistant month-long "Afterglow?" I don't know if it is
> actually afterglow or if it is an MPAA/RIAA Torrent spy, but I want it
> to Go Away!

> before I start throwing some brutal packets at the offending IP...

..before you start throwing some brutal packets at the offending IP...
remember that IP addresses are trivially easy to forge on UDP.  You
might be hitting an innocent 3rd party with a DOS attack, and they
could file criminal charges against you.

> like to know what is the proper way to make it stop.

  Can I assume you have a static IP address?  If you have a dynamic IP
address, change it.

  A few UDP packets once every 20 minutes is *NOT* a DOS attack, so I
wouldn't bother calling law-enforcement.  If you have logs, submit them
to the ISP that owns that IP address.

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org> In linux /sbin/init is Job #1
My musings on technology and security at http://tech_sec.blog.ca