Brawling with BitTorrent

Meng Cheah meng-D1t3LT1mScs at public.gmane.org
Wed Aug 23 00:52:13 UTC 2006

Scott Elcomb wrote:

> On 8/22/06, Meng Cheah <meng-D1t3LT1mScs at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>
>> Pardon my ignorance but what is "Afterglow"?
>

> This is an english expression, not a techinical fact.
>
> Afterglow is like:
>
> - the waning of the moon
> - the second half of the bell curve, or the sine wave
> - the feeling one gets after s/he's realized the world is alive[1] and
> not under their direct control
>
> In this case, I believe, it refers to the realization that our "Open
> Source" beliefs are different than those of companies[2] who refuse to
> grow with the times - aka the MPAA, RIAA and other associated
> organizations.
>
> In a way, Dogma is like a polar opposite to Karma[3].
>
> [1] http://www.calresco.org/ is the only convenient aid I can quote
> without going off on a diatribe
> [2] Incumbant business models might be a better term
> [3] If you don't understand, then you prolly don't want to ask - if
> you do, shoot

Thanks, Scott for the detailed explanation, it's much appreciated.
I'll look up [1] and leave [3] alone :-) .

My Google search turned up the phenomenon, music album and movie but
nothing related to computers.

I was beginning to wonder how can you get a month-long after "glow" like
that from a good drink,
from reading log files :-) .

Thanks again.

Meng Cheah