Exim4, Debian and Rogers...

Colin McGregor colinmc151-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sat Aug 19 02:19:18 UTC 2006

Ok to answer my own question, you can send e-mail
using exim4, Debian and Rogers. You don't need to do
any wierdness regarding ports. There are two nasty
little issues that can bite you hard (at least they
bit me hard :-( ). Here is what you need in various
files (with e-mail addresses/passwords changed).

In /etc/email-addresses you need a line like the
following for every local Linux box login that you
want to be able to send e-mail:

<<local login name>>: <<RogersID>>@rogers.com

More than one <<local login name>> can point to the
same <<RogersID>>, i.e.: I have root and my normal
user login pointing at the same <<RogersID>> .

In /etc/exim4/exim4.conf.template your need to remove
(or comment out) the following bit:

plain:
  driver = plaintext
  public_name = PLAIN
.ifndef AUTH_CLIENT_ALLOW_NOTLS_PASSWORDS
 client_send = "${if !eq{$tls_cipher}{}{\
                    ^${extract{1}{::}\

{${lookup{$host}lsearch*{CONFDIR/passwd.client}{$value}fail}}}\
                   ^${extract{2}{::}\

{${lookup{$host}lsearch*{CONFDIR/passwd.client}{$value}fail}}}\
                 }fail}"
.else
  client_send =
"^${extract{1}{::}{${lookup{$host}lsearch*{CONFDIR/passwd.client}{$value}fail}}}^${extract{2}{::}{${lookup{$host}lsearch*{CONFDIR/passwd.client}{$value}fail}}}"
 .endif

Then put the follow in:

plain:
  driver = plaintext
  public_name = PLAIN
 client_send = "^<<RogersID>>@rogers.com^<<Password>>"

Next you need the following in
/etc/exim4/update-exim4.conf.conf:

dc_eximconfig_configtype='smarthost'
dc_other_hostnames=''
dc_local_interfaces='127.0.0.1'
dc_readhost='rogers.com'
dc_relay_domains=''
dc_minimaldns='false'
dc_relay_nets=''
dc_smarthost='smtp-rog.mail.yahoo2.akadns.net'
CFILEMODE='644'
dc_use_split_config='false'
dc_hide_mailname='true'
dc_mailname_in_oh='true'

While I suspect it isnt't required I put the following
into: /etc/exim4/passwd.client

smtp-rog.mail.yahoo2.akadns.net:<<RogersID>>@rogers.com:<<Password>>

The two things in the above that gave me grief were
the dc_smarthost name and the "plain:" bit. There is a
bug in exim4 that will choke on CNAMEs, like the
smtp.broadband.rogers.com name you find in the Rogers
documentation, the 'smtp-rog.mail.yahoo2.akadns.net'
is the currently correct replacement (yes, it may be
subject to change without notice, sigh). By default
exim4 wants to send the RogersID/Password encrypted,
but due to problems at the Rogers/Yahoo end of things
it will only with plain text (BAD NEWS!). Get any of
the above wrong and you will be facing a pile of
cryptic error messages and rotten documentation :-( .

Now, the reason for putting up with the above is that
exim4 when working with fetchmail (which is another
pile of unholy @#$%) makes your Linux act/seem like it
is mail server on the Internet, allowing the likes of
Procmail (which is a toxic waste dump unto itself) to
think all is right with the universe.

Why do it? Well, it is an interesting challenge, and
in my case, I am writing a magazine article on
Procmail for a magazine (which will pay some $$ :-) ).

Colin McGregor