Exim4, Debian and Rogers...

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Fri Aug 18 02:17:59 UTC 2006

Colin McGregor wrote:

>What I am attempting to do is make my box do SMTP into
>Rogers mail system (which is being run by Yahoo). In
>other words I want my outgoing mail system to look as
>far as Rogers/Yahoo is concerned like your run of the
>mill Microsloth brand e-mail client..

I think that's understood.

The default port for doing SMTP (and certainly the exim default) is port
25, but that's blocked by Rogers.
They instruct people to set their email preferences to use a different port.

The problem is not Yahoo, they just run the servers. Rogers actually
blocks traffic trying to use that port, so Yahoo never sees your
connection attempt.

I reported that port 465 (listed in /etc/services as "SMTP over SSL")
works for me (I have SSL set as well). So you may need to run SMTP over
SSL in order to make that particular kind of connection work. IE,
Thunderbird and KMail support this, but you may need to tweak Exim a
little. On the web there are some docs on how to do this;
http://ente.limmat.ch/kb/exim/exim_v3_secure_auth.html and
http://jeremy.zawodny.com/blog/archives/000453.html describe the
procedure for EximV3 under Debian.

Others have suggested port 587 (which under /etc/services is "mail
message submission", something with which I'm not familiar), or using
port forwarding. One of these should work for you.

- Evan