strange hardware problem

John Van Ostrand john-Da48MpWaEp0CzWx7n4ubxQ at public.gmane.org
Fri Aug 18 16:45:38 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-08-18 at 12:00 -0400, Zbigniew Koziol wrote:
> Yes, this machine has been running the same system for about a month
> or two. Problems started some time ago and they become more and more
> serious. Now, today, I see that sometime I can not already reboot it
> because it gets mad during startup. So it looks rather that something
> is going to fail totally, quite soon ;)
Try a memtest. That usually our first course of action regardless of the
O/S. Your red hat disk install disk has an option for that.

I haven't seen a memory leak cause a reboot, but they do cause hangs.
Sysrq can help you diagnose this. Grep your kernel docs for sysrq to see
how to use it.

The keyboard LEDs should  be blinking if the kernel panicked, so it
doesn't look like a kernel bug.

If you have the means I recommend you replace the hardware. It should be
as simple as moving the disk to another system and letting kudzu fix the
drivers. If you want PIII I have a few lying around if you want to drive
to Waterloo and test it out.

--
John Van Ostrand
         Net Direct Inc.