Probably the biggest thing to ever happen to Linux

Brandon Sandrowicz brandon-77Z/iqU1yLlrovVCs/uTlw at public.gmane.org
Fri Aug 18 16:23:56 UTC 2006

On Fri, Aug 18, 2006 at 09:24:36AM -0400, ted leslie wrote:
> as quoted in the article
>
> "We have for the first time a real alternative to the Windows desktop.
> Linux and open source are there,"
>
> http://news.zdnet.co.uk/0,39020330,39281014,00.htm
>
> i almost don't believe it,
> i wonder if it only going to be wmv8 and not 9 or something stupid like
> that,
> or maybe MS will then standardize on wmv10 ?
>
> now games are the only thing left that Linux users can't get (for the
> most part).
>
> at least i will finally get to play wmv's on a 64 bit arch. and not have
> to dick around with 32bit apps and 32bit dll's
>
> -tl

FFMpeg has a working wmv3/wmv9/vp 1/whatever decoder in CVS I believe.  And
Microsoft isnt going to fool around too much with the WMV v9 standard for a
couple of reasons:

1) They pushed through and have gotten it admitted as a standard

2) They have it on as part of the Blu-Ray/HD-DVD specs.  (Players have to be
    able to decode WMV v9, MPEG4, MPEG2, etc to be certified)

They're not going to make it a moving target for hardware companies to try and
embed into their players.  For the time being, I know that at least one of the
new HD players is just a linux box, but as the marketplace matures, they are
going to have embedded decoders on chip (for better performance, less power
usage, less heat, smaller/better form factor, etc).  Those aren't going to be
replaced everytime Microsoft decide to extend the spec.  I think that for the
time being even as Microsoft pushes WMV v10 out the door, the majority will be
stuck on WMV v9.

Brandon Sandrowicz