CDs play in W98 but not FC2

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed Aug 16 18:29:04 UTC 2006

On Wed, Aug 16, 2006 at 02:24:30PM -0400, Charles Philip Chan wrote:
> Thanks for the info. I was hasitant in mentioning this since I forgot
> whether Digital Extraction started in 98 or XP and I don't use
> Windows.

Win95 didn't do it, win98 did.

> > Linux tends to play
> > CDs the way they were meant to be played using the audio cable.
>
> This is not quite true. There are a few players that are capable of
> Digital Extraction. For example: KSCD (KDE), later versions of XMMS,
> and cdplayer.app (GNUStep).

Hence the word _tends_. :)

> The OP checked the "CD" channels and they are not muted.

Makes me wonder if the light on the drive is even indicating it is
playing.

> This is very likely, on my system it is the audio group. I don't know
> what FC uses.

One thing I like to do is use cdplay from the command line as the user
and as root, to make sure it isn't a permission problem accessing the
cdrom.  it is part of cdtools which provide the commands cdplay, cdinfo,
cdir, cdclose, cdeject, etc.  Very handy for scripts and such.  It helps
to figure out if the problem is with even trying to play the cd, or with
the audio setup.

--
Len Sorensen