CDs play in W98 but not FC2

Charles Philip Chan cpchan-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Wed Aug 16 18:24:30 UTC 2006

On 2006-08-16 09:11:36 -0400 Lennart Sorensen

> By default win98 uses digital audio extraction to play CDs, so it
> doesn't even use the audio cable from the cdrom.

Thanks for the info. I was hasitant in mentioning this since I forgot
whether Digital Extraction started in 98 or XP and I don't use
Windows.

> Linux tends to play
> CDs the way they were meant to be played using the audio cable.

This is not quite true. There are a few players that are capable of
Digital Extraction. For example: KSCD (KDE), later versions of XMMS,
and cdplayer.app (GNUStep).

> If it doesn't work, then most likely you have the cd input muted in
> the
> mixer for your sound card,

The OP checked the "CD" channels and they are not muted.

> or potentially your user doesn't even have
> permission to access the cdrom drive to give it commands to play (on
> debian a user has to be in the cdrom group to play a cd, just as they
> have to be in the audio group to play sound and access the mixer).

This is very likely, on my system it is the audio group. I don't know
what FC uses.

Charles

--
I did this 'cause Linux gives me a woody.  It doesn't generate revenue.
(Dave '-ddt->` Taylor, announcing DOOM for Linux)