Any decent computer book stores in GTA?

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Sun Aug 13 21:58:13 UTC 2006

James Knott wrote:

>This afternoon, I dropped into the local Chapters and was appalled at
>how much the technical book section had been decimated, since I last
>visited a couple of weeks ago.  They're really dumbed down what used to
>be a good selection.  Is there any decent technical book store left?

I wonder if these days the good stuff is all online, leaving only
consumer-ish titles (dummies' series, or the books that look like good
value because they're 900 pages) on store shelves.

I did a little looking on Indigo's website for some stuff recently. I
found that many of the better-reviewed books I was looking for are
available to ship immediately, but the only store that seemed to have
any stock was the one next to (not inside) Square One. In Toronto,
World's Biggest should be better, but that doesn't mean it _is_ better.

Then again, that's all Chapters/Indigo/Coles. The only major competition
seems to be Amazon.

Of course, come September the bookstores at York, Ryerson and UofT will
have lots of stock too.

Also, try
http://www.abebooks.com/home/BMV/

- Evan