Any decent computer book stores in GTA?

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sun Aug 13 22:21:25 UTC 2006

Evan Leibovitch wrote:
> James Knott wrote:
>
>> This afternoon, I dropped into the local Chapters and was appalled at
>> how much the technical book section had been decimated, since I last
>> visited a couple of weeks ago.  They're really dumbed down what used to
>> be a good selection.  Is there any decent technical book store left?
>>

> I wonder if these days the good stuff is all online, leaving only
> consumer-ish titles (dummies' series, or the books that look like good
> value because they're 900 pages) on store shelves.

I like to browse through the book, before buying.  It's hard to do that
online.

> I did a little looking on Indigo's website for some stuff recently. I
> found that many of the better-reviewed books I was looking for are
> available to ship immediately, but the only store that seemed to have
> any stock was the one next to (not inside) Square One. In Toronto,
> World's Biggest should be better, but that doesn't mean it _is_ better.

That's the store I was in today.  There is not much left.  Years ago, I
could buy my Ryerson texts at WBB, often cheaper than in the Ryerson
bookstore.  Not now though.  I noticed Chapters seemed to start going
downhill, after Indigo bought it.  I read a while ago that Heather
Reisman (sp?) wants to turn them into gift stores.  I never cared for
Indigo, because of their poor technical book selection.  Now that they
own Chapters and WBB, those stores also have a poor selection.