Online store ecommerce

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Sat Aug 12 14:28:25 UTC 2006

Rob Sutherland wrote:

>I did a comparision between OsCommerce and Zencart last year and basically,
>if you want something that will work out of the box Zencart is the way to go.
>However, if you need to do anything like hook your shopping cart up to
>SugarCRM or do SEO tricks or something, OsCommerce is the way to go because
>there's so much going on in the community. OTOH, OsCommerce is such a mess
>under the hood that you'd better know what you're doing. Even if you know how
>to use version management and diff/patch etc. it's a major pain.

A good compromise is the ecommerce module of Drupal. Like OsCommerce,
it's part of a widely used CMS system with a huge community, a lot of
extensions, and the availability of a powerful CRM. Unlike OsCommerce,
its code is clean enough that others in the community are doing
contributed modules for it without needing to fork.

http://drupal.org/project/ecommerce

The downside is that, while it installs cleanly, Drupal's ecommerce can
be a bit of a challenge to configure and its default look-and-feel could
be much better. However, it is in active development -- some important
features, such as product attributes, are relatively new.

Drupal's ecommerce is running on the CLUE site and operating quite well.

- Evan