Online store ecommerce

Rob Sutherland rob-3Aypa9sX/B7wvR0lvYjcXw at public.gmane.org
Sat Aug 12 13:40:22 UTC 2006

On Friday 11 August 2006 16:58, Scott C. Ripley wrote:
> hey Sy,
>
> - oscommerce has a half decent interface / fair number of features
> - you can be up and running quickly (selling actual
> products/downloads/etc.) - it has an active community with a large number
> of community contributions (customizations) - things can become a pain when
> you are mixing/matching mods/patches/etc.

 I did a comparision between OsCommerce and Zencart last year and basically,
if you want something that will work out of the box Zencart is the way to go.
However, if you need to do anything like hook your shopping cart up to
SugarCRM or do SEO tricks or something, OsCommerce is the way to go because
there's so much going on in the community. OTOH, OsCommerce is such a mess
under the hood that you'd better know what you're doing. Even if you know how
to use version management and diff/patch etc. it's a major pain.

The trick with OsCommerce is not to use the vanilla release version, get one
of the variations with a theme manager and the most useful contributions
already installed. But, for sure, look at Zencart (or something else) first
and only if it won't do what you need, look at OsCommerce.

Rob